At least that's what a recent study on potential redevelopment scenarios indicated. Here's the link to the study, titled "Thinking Outside the Box." Here's an article that sums up the results. More data is needed to back up this claim, but it seems to reason. I guess we need some kind of Christmas Shopping Store Replacement Guide. Here's a stab at a list for Spokane:
- Auntie's Books instead of B&N, Amazon or Borders
- Huppin's or Acme TV instead of Best Buy
- Rocket Bakery Gift Certs instead of Starbucks
- Yoke's instead of Albertsons, Safeway etc.
- Mountain Gear instead of REI
- Madison Home or Madison Country for furniture instead of big chains.
- White Elephant instead of Toys R Us
- Spokesman Review instead of or in addition to CNN.com
- Doma Coffee instead of Peets
- Longhorn BBQ or the Onion for family get together instead of Chili's or Red Robin
- Arbor Crest instead of Gallo
- Hutton Settlement or Greenbluff Christmas Trees Instead of Wal Mart
Feel free to add your picks for locally owned and I'll add to the list.
UPDATE: The list is growing. Thanks Remi, April & Geneva. Keep the ideas coming.
- OMO for Chocolate Instead of Godiva
- Finders Keepers for jewelery/clothes - Instead of Macy's etc.
- Indaba coffee, gifts, books - Instead of Starbucks
- NW Maps travel guides, globes, wall maps - Instead of Boarders
- RiverSpeak for purchases from Local Artists - Instead of Wall art from Target
- Blue Button for matching family shirts - instead of Old Navy
- Petit Chat instead of Wonderbread
- Northern Lights or Laughing Dog instead of Budweiser
- Dry Fly instead of Grey Goose
- Bumble Bars instead of Clif Bars
- Powell's Books if you have to go online (located in Portland)