The folks at Liberty Lake Farmers' Market and Slow Food Spokane River have put together a list of gift ideas for the foodies in your life that are into local food. Here's the list and thanks for including the Year of Plenty Book.
Thank You Mail Man! This Season Brings Cards & Gifts and Seed Catalogs for the Farmers
A CSA Subscription makes a great gift and helps ensure that the farm will get up and running in the spring
- Rocky Ridge Ranch and Green Wave Gardens offer shares, with pick-ups at local farmers' markets.
- Local Harvest has even more information on local CSA Subscriptions.
- Purchase a friend a garden of fresh produce for the 2011 season! My Square Garden offers to grow what you want at their place - you pick the crops from their list, and harvest or have them do that for you too.
Wrap It in Recycled Paper and They’ll Never Guess What’s Inside
- Local Honey - Miller's, Tate's, Ormond Valley & Selkirk are a few good choices.
- Windowsill herb garden at Sun People Dry Goods
- Ecowell bottle and drink card
- Canning pot & book
- A container of local Brain Freeze Ice Cream (make sure they open it first)
- Authentic Italian food for the freezer from Trezzi Farm
- A box of truffles or some jam from Petunias Marketplace
Imagine Curling Up by the Fire with a Good Book
Give the gift of knowledge.
- Chefs on the Farm
- Pre-order Craig Goodwin's book Year of Plenty
- American Terroir, by Rowan Jacobsen (he's coming to Spokane this Spring)
- Wild Thyme in the Kitchen by local author, Moria Felber – at Kizuri
- Fishes & Dishes Cookbook, available at Kizuri
Let Them Pick It Out...Make It A Gift Card
Gift cards to the following places help support local farms and businesses.
- Main Market Co-op
- Santé Restaurant & Charcuterie
- Latah Bistro
- Wild Sage
- Rocket Market
- Fresh Abundance
- They might also enjoy a Cooking Class at The Kitchen Engine
Hostess Gifts with a Little Zip
- Local Wine... lots of options here
- Washington Wheat Whiskey, Gin, or Vodka from Dry Fly Distilling
- A "Growler" of Seasonal Northern Lights Brew
Gifts that Keep on Giving
- Donation to Backyard Harvest to make your spring a little greener
- Donation to Riverfront Farms program
- Donation to Big Table
- Membership to Slow Food Spokane River
- Donation to Save Our Wild Salmon to preserve Salmon Nation
- Donation to New Leaf Bakery Training Program
If You’re Going Homemade
- Try to incorporate local ingredients into your family’s secret recipes when you can
- Several frozen crusts, made with Shepherd's Grain Flour, so your pals can easily throw together a pie or quiche when they want (maybe they'll share it with you!)
It's sold in stores as Stone Buhr Washington White All Purpose Flour. Ready-frozen pie/quiche crusts, made with Shepherd’s Grain Flour (Who wouldn’t love this???)
And FOR SANTA!